Monday, April 22, 2013

Shor Last Blog Post :-(


Shor Quotes
 I really enjoyed this article and I had a hard time choosing just three quotes!

The first one that stood out to me was Bettelheim. “You must arouse children’s curiosity and make them think about school. For example its very important to began the school year with a discussion of why we go to school. Why does the government force us to go to school? This would set a question tome and show the children that you trust them and that they are intelligent enough at their own level to investigate and come up with answers.”  This quote really sets up the whole article and Shor’s belief that children in schools need to be socialized.  I love this quote because it also points out an very important question why does the government force us to go to school? Our government requires it for the good of the country. They want us to participate in democracy and our society. Yet in our classes we are only taught to sit and take notes and often repeat what we learn without any thoughts or opinions. 

The second one was Giroux “Schools need to be defended as an important public service that educated students to be critical citizens who can think, challenge, take risks and believe that their actions will make a difference in a larger society. “ I love this quote. THIS is why I want to teach. I want my students to have these skills.  This goes back to why the government forces us to go to school (or at least the original intent).  This is why students need to be socialized in school. Students who know their voices are valued in school will know they can be a value in society.

The third one is from Apple who says “To many people, the very idea of regaining any really control over social institutions and personal developments is abstract and nonsensical. In general many people do see society’s economics, social and education institutions as basically self-directing with little need for their participation and with little necessity for them to communicate and argue over the ends and means of the these same institutions.’    This goes back to why the government forced people to go to school in the first place to participate and help better the sociality and yet because of they way we are teaching people often feel like Apple states. Again this goes back to the need of teaching students to be social. It also reminds me of Oakes Tracking Why Schools Need to Take Another Route students from working class and lower class families are not taught to think but to answer questions. These are the people most effected by what goes on politically in our country yet they are not taught to think, question or socialize so they leave those thinks to the policy makers and leaders the people often least effected by policies and laws.

This was a great last article for the class and I think it may have just trumped Delpit as my favorite reading for the semester. As I grow more aware that I can be a part of positive change in the world I become angrier that I was not taught to think and be social in school. I want to make sure my students learn these important skills that I had to learn on my own and later in life and college.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Crissy,

    Your blog is great. Its funnny because in middle/high school I remember that on some days kids said "Why do we have to be here?" Of course, we knew the obvious reasons that this author put in perspective. Don't be angry that you didn't learn it before...you are learning it now and have taken the opportunity :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog post! You hit some really important points. I'm glad that you are going to help your students learn those skills Shor discusses.

    ReplyDelete